Wednesday, January 23, 2019

The Scholarship Search



When my oldest went through the college application process I really thought we were done when she submitted her last application. I was so wrong. Applying to college is nothing compared to what comes next -- the scholarship search. 

My youngest sent her final college application in November, well ahead of most deadlines. Thank goodness she did because we're both bogged down these days looking for opportunities to fund her future education.

We now spend our weekends searching for and applying for scholarships. The applications for many of them are as detailed and demanding as any college application, some of them even more so. Even scholarships offering a mere $250 routinely demand one or two personal essays, transcripts, ACT or SAT scores, personal references, and detailed college and after college life goals. 

I am truly grateful for every scholarship opportunity out there, but frankly the strain it puts on the family, and the time it takes away from other opportunities (like a part-time job) makes me wonder if they are worth our time.

They are, I'm afraid. The skyrocketing cost of college means students have to do whatever they can to minimize their debt load. As a parent, I'll do whatever I can to help.

So, if you're wondering how I spend the little free time I might have left after working, commuting, and sleeping, I can tell you. There's a good chance I'm researching scholarships. And nagging my kid to get back to it -- we only have eight months before that first tuition check is due. 

More on College


No comments:

Post a Comment

The New Normal

Just like that, she's gone. The last few months flew by. One minute we were in the middle of scholarship applications and picking o...