Sunday, January 13, 2019

The Looming Empty Nest -- Embracing it Despite Myself




I started this blog because my life is about to change, and there's nothing I can do about it. When my youngest heads off to college this fall everything will be different. The days of carpooling, helping with homework, staying up waiting for her to come home from dates, and hearing her and her friends giggle late at night will be over. I enjoyed it all so much, but I gotta move on.

So, I'm slowly developing a plan --a blueprint that will prepare me for the empty nest I'll be living in.

Here's what I have so far:
  • I am going to enjoy a little peace and quiet for a little while. My husband and I spent 22 years parenting our daughters, and we did a pretty good job, if I may say so. I think it's only fair that we allow ourselves a little time to bask in the glory of a job well done. 
  • I am making lists of things I've wanted to do these past two decades but never got around to because I was busy raising children and working. I have lists for books I want to read, classes I want to take, and movies I want to watch. Major traveling is out while our kids are in college, but there are some close-to-home destinations I'd like to visit. 
  • I want to pet more dogs. We have a house of cats and bringing a dog into the mix just wouldn't work right now, but I do love them and I want to make time for them. My youngest used to volunteer at our local animal shelter and she truly enjoyed it. I think I can find the time to work some volunteer hours into my own schedule.
  • My home is in fairly good shape for all the living that goes on here, but there are closets and drawers that clearly need attention. I've been watching Tidying Up with Marie Kondo on Netflix, and I'm learning a lot about how to declutter your home, to make the most of what's important. 
  • Civic engagement has always been important to me and I would like to boost my participation in a number of organizations and causes. The hard part will be figuring out which ones get my time and attention.
  • It's time for me to throw some attention to my husband, who has been waiting patiently on the sidelines for more than 20 years. It will be fun (and a little weird) when it's just the two of us again!
  • I will no longer have an excuse to skip the gym or neglect my health. I can't say that I'll become a gym rat, but if I can work two or three workouts into my schedule every week, I'll be happy. 

More on Setting Goals for the Empty Nest Years



No comments:

Post a Comment

The New Normal

Just like that, she's gone. The last few months flew by. One minute we were in the middle of scholarship applications and picking o...