Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Time for a Hobby (or two)


Before I had children I enjoyed a long list of hobbies and interests: travel; baking; reading; photography; gardening; watching old movies, etc. I was rarely bored. But after my oldest was born those interests faded away one by one. 



I did this by choice. I found new interests and hobbies -- activities that revolved around my kids. I truly enjoyed all of them: scouting; sports; music and theatre. If my kids were interested in something, so was I. Of course, the downside is now that I have an "almost" empty nest I'm faced with figuring out what my interests are now. How will I spend my free time when there are no practices, games, concerts, or campouts? 

I don't think much has changed since 1997. I'm still wanting to travel, bake (occasionally), read (a lot), and garden (a little). I also want to learn about other things, new things, even things I know I have little or no talent for. I've been experimenting with watercolors, and I'm enjoying the process, even if my creations are nothing spectacular. I've also tried my hand at bookbinding and I'm thinking about taking a few classes in subjects I know nothing about. This is really an exciting time for me, and I'm not going to rush into any commitment. I'll dabble here and there, and see where it takes me.

About a year ago I joined Skillshare, an online educational community. It's proven to be money well spent. I've watched close to thirty educational videos on a variety of subjects, and I have a growing list of videos that I want to watch. It's been a great way to get me started, and also to encourage me to keep going.

What about you? How did you find new interests or hobbies after your children left home? Or, are you struggling to find a new passion after years of self-neglect and sacrifice?


No comments:

Post a Comment

The New Normal

Just like that, she's gone. The last few months flew by. One minute we were in the middle of scholarship applications and picking o...